Friday, October 09, 2009

Philippians 2:14 Challenge

This morning I was blog surfing and came across a blog post that really caught my attention.  It gives us me a challenge for one day, 24 hours, to live out the scripture of Philippians 2:14.  Do everything without complaining or arguing.  Oh me, Oh my...what joy & happiness this could bring to our home.  I often become discouraged with the kids because they argue with what I ask or say.  When I point out that I am not going to argue with them, they argue about whether they are arguing or not.  ARRRGGHHHH!!!!  I find myself not knowing what to do to help them understand 1) what arguing is?  2) how to avoid this arguing.

Did I stop to pray about this specifically?  I have to admit...NO!  I just became frustrated, and more frustrated.  Had I prayed about, God would have shown me this verse.  I guess He really did show me this verse...how else did I "stumble" upon this blog.  God works is wonderful ways!!

OK but seriously, it made me think about the things that come out of my mouth.  Sometimes I may not intentionally complain, but if I really hear myself....I AM!!!  I become so aggrevated with my own children when they complain and argue, yet I seldom listen to the words spoken from my own mouth.  After all, our children learn from us.  If I nag, complain and argue, then it is fair to expect them to nag, complain and argue in a response to what they hear. 

I really don't think of myself as a negative force.  But do I try to find the beauty of all situations?  No, probably not. 

"It's too cold in here."  "I am so tired of waiting on you."  "You played a great game, but you could have hustled a little more on defense."  "Why does it take you so long to get ready in the mornings?"

Sounds pretty negative to me!!

I think I need to take the Philippians 2:14 challenge.  My entire house included.  Verse 15 in Philippians goes on to say that we are to shine like stars in the universe.  I want to shine like the stars...in my home, in my classroom, amongst my friends, in my church, in the line at the grocery store, everywhere I go.

Join me for 24 hours of NO COMPLAINING, NO ARGUING.  Leave a comment and let me know how it goes for you.  I will let you know at the end of the weekend.

Hope you each have a super weekend.  Be blessed!!!








 

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I came across your blog from Nic at ChaoticArFamily and love this challenge, what a great idea your friend had! I am starting tomorrow only because I am pretty sure that I have already complained today (since it has been cold and rainy in Tulsa for 3 days now.) We'll see how it goes...I am hoping great and good wishes to you for your challenge as well :)