Friday, March 05, 2010

small town fans

I love living in a small town.

This morning our boys basketball team left for the Regional Tournament in Levelland.  This stirs many emotions in me.  We had a send off this morning with the all students and teachers cheering the boys on as they leave on the bus.

As I looked around, I saw so many Longhorn fans.  I saw the elementary kids, which is where my kids are, dressed in black athletic shorts, tall crazy socks, and Longhorn shirts.  I saw young kids that looked up to these high school boys as their heroes.  I saw kids that bleed black and gold, and scream and cheer without any inhibition.

As I looked around, I saw their fellow students that love, support, and encourage the high school boys to no end.  I saw students that have school spirit oozing from every pore.  At any given game, the high school boys paint their faces and have some crazy black and gold get up to show their school spirit.

As I looked around, I saw parents of the basketball boys that are welling in pride of the accomplishments of their child.  Hoping for the success that we all want so badly.

As I looked around, I saw coaches encouraging and supporting each other.  It brought tears to my eyes to see the coaches hug one another and give them pat on the back for support.

As I looked around, I saw the community drawing together to cheer the Longhorns to another victory.  It does my heart good to look through the crowd at the basketball game and see the sea of fans that come to cheer on the Longhorns.  I can't wait to get to the ballgame today to join these fans as we celebrate the accomplishments they have made, and continue the journey to the state tourney in Austin.

Longhorns, we are behind you, rootin' for you.  We love you and are so proud of you.  Go get 'em!!!

No comments: