Friday, May 07, 2010

to save or not to save

A few weeks ago when Robby and I were in Alabama at the women's conference, there were several amazing women speaking.  Unfortunately, I was unable to hear their break-out sessions.  Although I would have really loved to.  After the conference was over, I had the opportunity to speak with one of the ladies that presented a break-out on saving money and couponing.  I have to admit, I am not much of a money saver, although my husband would desperately love for me to be.  I am much more of a brand loyal type of girl and a convenience shopper.  I generally use products that my mom used growing up.
I am not good at shopping around for the cheapest price.  And I am certainly not good at clipping coupons.  These two things take so much time.  Time for which I don't feel I have any extra to spend.
As this sweet lady was sharing her heart for why she shops for the best deal and why she clips coupons...I was a little convicted about my own spending habits.  The Bible calls us to become Proverbs 31 women...a virtuous woman who is wise with monty.  Is my brand name shopping or convenience shopping modeling a Proverbs 31 woman.  I don't really think so....but, here is what I am doing to help.
This week I had some time one evening, and I decided to sit down and clip my coupons and price match some of the items in the CVS, Walgreens, and Target ads.  I made my list, and set out to do my shopping yesterday in town.
At the end of the day,  I spent about $120 on non-food grocery items between CVS and Walgreens.  And had a total savings of $48.00 between the two places.  WOW...that is super crazy!!  Saving that amount of money is pretty motivating to do it again this week.  The crazier thing...is they say I can save more than that....hmmmm!!  I don't know for sure about that, but I am sure going to work towards it.
These days it seems harder than ever to save money for our ever growing and changing families.  I would love to know your secrets, tricks or plans for saving money for your family.
Be blessed,

No comments: